Thursday, May 11, 2006

Mind or Matter?

I'm often curious about how a person's perception of their opponent can affect their own game. Even in my own experience, it can be intimidating to sit across a board with someone you know is really good. Sometimes I play worse, maybe just from being nervous.

Why, though, does the person themselves create these feelings? When you play online, it doesn't seem to be there, at least not as much. You can still be intimidated by their big rating, but somehow it's just not the same.

The thing is, the person themself, physically, has no direct effect on the game. There's a battle going on on the Chess board, but your opponent is unlikely to attack you, so there should be no intimidation. It's a mind battle. Could it be that because people think they can't win, that they cave in from the start and never really have a chance? Like a small kid on a playground who doesn't put up much of a fight against the big bully. And how much does a physical presence (especially an agressive one) affect the simple fear of playing a better player?

I have even found this with beginner players who play against me now and then. One of them told me they always lose confidence when playing me, expecting that I'll win no matter what.

I really think this is a problem, and it's something I'm working to overcome as well. A Chess player should play to the best of his or her ability regardless of who they're playing against. Maybe it's true that your opponent is a stronger player and will likely win, but play your best, learn a thing or two, and you'll be a better player for it (not to mention the game will be more interesting). And there's even a chance you can pull something off. Everyone makes mistakes, from time to time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Online chess

Play Chess with me now!

Online chess

Online chess